Take care of your teeth and gums! Here’s how to do it. By the numbers.
A bright, clean smile doesn’t just make you totally smoochable. It could slash your risk for heart disease, breast cancer, or pregnancy complications. Follow these numbers from Travis Stork, M.D., expert on the show The Doctors, and his dentist pal Clint Newman, D.D.S., to upgrade your oral care.
- 2 minutes you should brush for, twice a day.
- 18 inches of floss to use.
- 4 months a traditional toothbrush lasts before becoming less effective.
- 1 to floss a day.
- 3 is the number of years to wait between dental x-rays.
- 2 times a year to visit the dentist. The cavity-prone can double this.
- 30 minutes to wait before brushing after ingesting something acidic, like coffee. Your saliva needs to attack he acid that could damage tooth enamel.
- 2 is the number of degrees your dentist should have. A bachelor’s plus a D.D.S or D.M.D.